Thursday, December 29, 2011

Stop Lying about Money (To Yourself)

If you have been reading this blog for any amount of time you already know that I am a big fan of setting goals and resolutions (it turns out that a lot of successful people do it too). With the end of the year approaching, what a better time than now to start making some 2012 resolutions? Here, I’ll start you off with a suggestion!

Stop lying to yourself about money.

Yep, I said it. You lie about money…a lot. Wanna know how I know?

1. You create ridiculously unrealistic budgets.

2. You think bad (and expensive) stuff won’t happen to you.

3. You project (to yourself) that you make more than you do.

4. You spend money before you have it.

5. You use a credit card to get “rewards”.

6. You took out a 30 year mortgage and are “going pay it like a 15 year”.

7. You lease a car because it is a “good deal” and a small business “tax write off”.

8. You deserve a $5000 vacation.

<Deep Breath>

Sorry, I got on a little soap box there for a minute.

Here is the deal, I often write about things that I am thinking about for me personally. So if you felt like I just hit on something you do - it turns out, so do I on occasion. Actually, I think I can say with some certainty that we all do it from time to time.

So let’s make a resolution in 2012 when I think about money I am going to be honest with myself. When I make a money mistake, I am going to admit that it was an error and I am going to avoid it in the future. I vow to be an armed consumer who doesn’t fall for gimmicks and most of all… I am going to stop making excuses and start creating results.

No comments:

Post a Comment